How To Claim The Marriage Tax Allowance


If you’re married or in a civil partnership, you may be able to benefit from this tax relief scheme, transferring some of your tax free allowance to your spouse and reducing their tax bill.

What Is The Marriage Allowance?

The ‘Marriage Allowance’ was introduced by HMRC in 2015 and allows you to transfer 10% (£1,250 for the current 19/20 tax year) of your personal allowance (the amount you can earn tax-free each tax year) to your spouse or civil partner, if they earn more than you.

If your claim is successful, it will lower the higher earner’s tax bill for the tax year, but you can also backdate your claim if eligible.

Who Is Eligible?

To qualify for Marriage Allowance:

  • You need to be married or in a civil partnership
  • One of you needs to earn less than the Personal Allowance amount (currently £12,500) or not pay income tax
  • The other needs to be paying income tax at the basic rate (which currently means a salary of between £12,500 and £50,000)
  • You both must have been born on or after 6 April 1935

If your partner has passed away since 5 April 2015, but you would otherwise have been eligible, you may still be able to claim Marriage Allowance.

How Much Could You Save?

The marriage tax allowance for the tax year 2019/20 is up to £250.

However, in addition to this tax year’s allowance, you can also backdate your claim by up to four tax years (currently 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19). The amounts for each year are:

  • 2015/16 – £212 (deadline Sunday 5 April)
  • 2016/17 – £220
  • 2017/18 – £230
  • 2018/19 – £238
  • 2019/20 – £250

This means that if you claim now and backdate the maximum four years, you’ll get up to £1,150.

However, as payments can only be backdated by up to four tax years, once the 2020/21 tax year begins – on Monday 6 April – you will no longer be able to claim for 2015/16. To make sure you don’t miss out on the £212, your application for 2015/16 should be submitted by 11.59pm on 5 April.

How To Apply?

It really is very simple, and only takes a few minutes, you can apply online – the person with the lowest income should make the claim. You can do this through the Gov website Here

You’ll need your National Insurance number, that of your partner’s, and proof of identity (eg a passport, payslips or a P60).

If successful, HMRC will backdate the claim to the start of this tax year and either change the tax code for you or your partner (whoever is receiving the 10% Personal Allowance money) or adjust as part of the annual Self Assessment tax return. You’ll be reimbursed for any applicable previous tax years by cheque.

If there’s a problem doing it via the web, just call 0300 200 3300 and do it by phone or alternatively you are welcome to contact us .



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: